LisaP

REVIEW - Broken

Broken  - Kelly Elliott

3.5 “Sugary Sweet” Stars

description

Broken by Kelly Elliott is book one in her Broken series. A cowboy who has had everything he has ever loved ripped away from him and an abused young woman running from her shattered dreams hoping to start fresh. Both have issues with trust. Both are completely broken. Can they open up their hearts and learn to trust and be vulnerable? Learn how to love again?

Twenty-four year old Whitley Reynolds was raised in a loving home with parents who adored her. When she followed her long-time boyfriend to New York after high school, Whitley’s dreams were finally coming to fruition. No one thought that Whitley would find herself living in a terrifying abusive relationship. Not even Whitley. She manages to escape her abusive boyfriend after he lands her in the hospital. Whitley with her best friend, Courtney, heads to Llano, Texas to start a new life and leave the past well behind her. She is determined to focus on her new career as an event planner and to never open her heart up to another man. When a sexy cowboy comes to her rescue one day, Whitley realizes that she may have a hard time staying away from the opposite sex after all.

Twenty-five year old Layton Morris has learned the hard way that you lose the people you love the most. He lost his mother at a young age, his father left, his brother passed away in a tragic accident and the woman he once gave his heart to shattered it by leaving him. Love equals loss for Layton and he has decided that he will never allow anyone to get close enough to hurt and leave him ever again. It simply is too painful. Now Layton focuses all his energy on the ranch he started with his brother, bound and determined to stay away from heartache. When he comes across a beautiful city girl stranded by her broken-down car, Layton’s vow to never let himself fall in love again is the furthest thing from his mind.

description

“When you first met me, Whitley, I was so damaged. I had a broken heart that was still bleeding. When I look into your eyes...I feel...like my heart is healing.”

***

“I’ll always protect you, Whit. I’ll never let anyone ever hurt you, cowgirl.”

***

“You told me last night I healed you, but you healed me just as much. I love you, Layton. I’ll love you forever, too.”

description

Whitley and Layton don’t start off on the right foot. They may be undeniably attracted to one another; however, both have some highly erected walls up protecting their hearts. Denying all that pent up lust leads to a lot of heated banter between the pair. But when Whitley and Layton finally give into that sizzling chemistry they share, they both fall for each other HARD and FAST. What ensues is a sweet ride full of sexy cowboys, snarky ex’s, horse racing and some good ole fashion two-stepping. The past is hard to let go of, however, and with so much hurt and pain in their hearts, can Whitley and Layton open up enough to let their love soar?

description

I feel like I need to mention this as it may deter a few of my GRs friends from giving this one a go. Broken is a very sweet book with a big dollop of inst-love. And, by sweet I mean:

and

description

For me, personally, I enjoy books that are over the top when it comes to sunshine, love, happiness, rainbows and unicorns farts. Every now and again it is nice to read a book with little to no angst and simply take in all the cheesy goodness that is love and a happy forever. That is what this book did for me. It put a smile on my face and had me happily sighing wanting my own hot cowboy.

All in all, Broken was an enjoyable read. The author sets up the next book very nicely as well. I am anxiously awaiting Reed and Courtney’s book, Broken Dreams. These two have a lot to overcome.