LisaP

REVIEW- The Heart Knows What The Heart Wants

The Heart Knows What the Heart Wants - Lori L. Clark

3 “Neptune Girl & Saturn Boy” Stars

description

The Heart Knows What The Heart Wants by Lori L. Clark is a book about second chances at life and following your heart. Sometimes life takes you in a direction that you were not expecting. And sometimes you simply have to walk that new path and take a chance. You may just find the happiness, love and acceptance you were seeking.

Thirty-year-old Estelle Falcone is on the run from her abusive boyfriend. She has finally managed to escape the clutches of the man who has shattered her dreams and broken her down. Desperate to escape and never end up in the violent hands of her ex again, Estelle changes her name to Star Lambert and runs. She finds herself in a small town when her car breaks down. Fate has obviously intervened seeing that the town folk immediately take her in and help her out. With a new job and a new lease on life, Star begins to put the pieces of herself back together. When she meets the nephew of her new employer, Star can’t help but be attracted to the younger man. Maybe the stars are aligning for her after all.

Twenty-one-year-old Shane Harper is attempting to get his life back on track after a tragic accident caused his basketball playing and college dreams to go up in smoke. His personal aspirations have been ripped away from him due to stupid judgment on his part and he finds himself at some cross-roads trying to decipher where to take his life. When Star shows up in town and begins to work for his aunt, Shane can’t help but feel a connection to her. Shane sees himself in Star, someone who is haunted by a tragic past.

Can Star and Shane somehow move past their personal demons and give a relationship a fair chance? Has Star truly escaped from her abusive past? Will Shane be the one to break through her defenses and protect her?

While this book was an enjoyable read, I found myself not really connecting with the writing. Some of the phrases this author chose to use did not work for me. For instance, Star’s use of “Saturn, Pluto and Mars” rather than “Jesus, Mary and Joseph” was a little strange to me. Perhaps it is simply because I am not really fascinated by astronomy, astrology or anything of the like. I had a hard time buying into Shane and Star’s relationship and the multiple POVs kind of threw me off as well. Further, the way the book evolved and reached its end was anti-climactic for me. Star made a stupid choice, Shane let her, something bad happens and they live happily ever after. No...just no. Things did not add up and I found myself wanting more. Perhaps more intensity was necessary given the nature of what Star had gone through. I am not sure. I want to state that this is not a badly written book. I think it all boils down to the fact that this author’s style of writing was not for me. I am positive that many will enjoy this book.

All in all, The Heart Knows What The Heart Wants was a good read for me but not a great one. My thoughts about this book are my opinion. You may decide to give this book a try and absolutely love it. That is the beauty of reading after all.

description

***An advanced reading copy of The Heart Knows What The Heart Wants by Lori L. Clark was generously provided to me in exchange for an honest review.