LisaP

LisaP

REVIEW - Hero by Leighton Del Mia

Hero  - Leighton Del Mia

You can read my full review at Sinfully Sexy .

3.5 "Twisted Superhero" Stars

“At the end of every light, is a tunnel of darkness.” ~Anthony Liccione

description

What in the hell do I say about Hero by Leighton Del Mia? I am not even certain that my mind has absorbed all that I have read. This book is superbly written and very original with the intermingling of a captor/captive story and a superhero story. Wait...what? Did you just read that right? Yes, yes you did. Think about Superman or Batman and then add in some dark and intense proclivities. Make sense? Nope? Well, I am still a little confused so that leaves us in the same boat. I will state that this novel was compelling and highly entertaining. I became deeply immersed right from the start and my fascination with the book did not end until I finished.

description

Twenty-two year old Cataline Ford lives a pretty quiet and uneventful existence choosing to be somewhat of a homebody and working a job she doesn’t really like. She’s shy, introverted, happy to be in the background and is not one to take chances. Perhaps losing her parents at a young age and then being thrust into the foster care system is the reason behind her timidity. Perhaps not. Cataline would rather observe individuals like the reclusive and moody owner of the company she works at from afar, never truly making an effort to make herself known. Cataline is also the type of girl who lives in her daydreams, especially those that star Hero, the savior of New Rhone. Cataline’s quiet life is shattered when she is taken as a captive, thrust into a world of secrets and darkness. Can this good girl come away from her time as a captive unscathed?

description

Calvin Parrish lives a dual life. He hides behind the façade of a wealthy business owner who owns his own successful company; however, that image is just a smokescreen for his true life. In actuality he is a justice seeking vigilante who has taken the law into his own hands and seeks out the criminals of society and enforces his own punishments that fit the crimes. To the New Rhone police, he is an annoyance that needs to go. To the public, he is a true hero and the savior of the city. Along with this double life Calvin seems to be living, he has a dual nature. Superhero versus monster. The champion of the city of New Rhone has dark urges and obsessions. What would happen if he could no longer keep them contained?

Plot wise I am not going to expand any further. Leighton Del Mia has written a unique book unlike any other I have read before. This book’s originality and marginally dark storyline kept me fully absorbed from beginning to end. I did have some issues with the storyline, some of which I can’t mention without giving parts of the book away. One of the things I found the hardest to accept was the heroine’s transformation. To me, she was a completely different person by the end of the book and not in a good way. I found that so hard to take. I wanted a fighter and a spit-fire and she somehow lost all that along the way. I can’t say that I was wholeheartedly on board with the relationship between the hero and heroine either. Perhaps if the author had provided more heart to heart scenes between the pair or even an epilogue a little further into the future I would have perhaps connected more with the hero and heroine and would have truly wanted them to have this huge and wonderful happy forever. I suppose that is the romantic in me. The author mentions at the end of the book that she will be releasing an optional novella on the same day as this book giving us a further glimpse into the life of the hero and heroine. Maybe after reading the novella all the little nagging issues I had will be resolved.

All in all, Hero is definitely a book that I would recommend. If anything this book is worth reading simply due to the fact that it takes on such a unique twist to the whole captor/captive sub-genre. I mean, we get a freakin’ superhero thrown into the mix. How awesome is that? I may have had a few minor issues with how the author went about telling her story, but that does not mean that you will have those same issues. Leighton Del Mia is definitely an author to watch out for. I have no doubt that this book will be received well by many.

description

***An advanced reading copy of Hero by Leighton Del Mia was provided to me in exchange for an honest review.