LisaP

LisaP

Rules of Harte - REVIEW

Rules of Harte - Brooke  Harris

Read my full review at Sinfully Sexy .

3.5 “Games, Games, Games” Stars

Julian: So you like to play games?

Eva shook her head. She hated games. Games made her nervous.

Julian: Let’s play then, shall we?

Rules of Harte is book one in Brooke Harris’ Harte Series. I must say that this was an impressive debut novel that had me engrossed right from the start. One enigmatic and secretive man out to play games with a shy and reserved woman. Our timid heroine is an unlikely candidate but who will be left standing when the games get real?

“You’re always beautiful, Evangeline. You’re perfect when you smile.”

Evangeline Andrews is a twenty-seven year old American now living in Dublin set on starting fresh and leaving her past behind her. She wants to focus on working hard and excelling at her job, so much so that things like fashion, relationships and friendships all seem to have taken a back seat in her awkward life. With not much self-confidence to draw from to begin with, Eva is unsure what to do when she discovers that everyone’s presence is mandatory at the office event of the year. Already dealing with the office bitch on a daily basis, the last thing Eva wants to do is spend an entire evening with the pompous bitches and arrogant jackasses she works with on a daily basis. Not to mention her now frequent trips into the office of her mysterious boss leave all flustered and bothered. Out of sheer desperation, Eva looks to hiring a sexy escort to be her date for the company masquerade ball. However, when she meets the sexy male escort she has a looming feeling that she has bitten off more than she can chew.

“Fuck normal, Evangeline. Crap sex is normal. What I’m about to do to you kicks normal’s balls.”

Julian Harte is as mysterious and cryptic as they come. He is an escort. Or is he? He is rich and powerful. Or, is it all an illusion? One thing is certain about Julian and that is his penchant for playing games. When Eva comes into his life, the stakes get exponentially higher as Julian is determined to win no matter the cost. But, win what? And, will Eva play by his rules or walk away?

With secrets, intrigue, seduction and a high risk game that Eva is unsure how to play, who will be the victor when the masks come off and all is revealed?

What I enjoyed about this book is that I never really felt like I knew where the author was going with the storyline and that kept me extremely interested. Most of the time I was unsure if Julian was simply playing games or if he did have real feelings developing for Eva. He definitely remained this huge enigma that I could not figure out. Eva was a little easier to decipher as she wore her feelings more openly than Julian did. While I enjoyed the fact that this book often kept me guessing, I was hoping to feel more of a connection between Julian and Eva. Perhaps it was because the game is still going strong and more will develop later in the series. I suppose that is the point, right? We are left wondering how this is all going to play out. I have a feeling Eva will be giving Julian a run for his money.

All in all, Rules of Harte was an entertaining book. Will I be reading the next book? Heck yeah! I am curious to see how this series will continue. I am positive Mr. Julian Harte has much more sexy intrigue up his sleeve. Bring it, Julian! I dare you!

***A review copy of Rules of Harte by Brooke Harris was provided to me in exchange for an honest review.