LisaP

LisaP

Hell, Fire & Freedom - Review

Hell, Fire & Freedom (Fighting for Freedom) - Shannon Callahan

description

Hell, Fire & Freedom by Shannon Callahan is the first book in her Fighting for Freedom series. This was a pretty solid read. A young woman on the run from an abusive husband. A sexy firefighter determined to be her knight in shining armor. Definitely a good start to this series.

description

At the age of seventeen Brynn made a decision in an attempt to help her younger sister live a better live. For five years she has lived with an abusive husband who has brought her to her lowest point. She can no longer take the beatings and the degrading way she is treated. Brynn escapes to New York her younger sister in tow determined to start a new life. There she meets Blaze, a gorgeous firefighter who she keeps running into. As Brynn moves forward in her new and independent life, Blaze is determined to become a part of it. As the pair grow closer, can Brynn trust another man with her fragile heart? And, when her abuser resurfaces to finish what he started, can Brynn trust Blaze with her safety? Or will Brynn’s new found life go down in flames?

While this book did deal with some harsher topics like the abuse Brynn suffered at the hands of her husband, it was nicely interwoven with a sweet love story. Blaze was exactly the kind of man that Brynn needed to show her that she is beautiful and worth being loved. He handled Brynn with such gentle care which allowed her to blossom and become a stronger woman. While this book is not overly long, I never once thought that the relationship between Blaze and Brynn moved too fast. Blaze was definitely patient and waiting for Brynn to be ready before he started to pursue her with greater interest. A true hero and white knight in every sense.

One of my only criticisms is that I wished we would have had dual point of views in this book. I felt like Brynn’s character was nicely developed but when it came to Blaze I had a hard time connecting with him. And, I wanted that connection....desperately. He was a hero right up my alley....sexy, protective, sweet. I would have loved to get into his head to find out his motivations, his deep thoughts, his inner workings. I think if that had been done it would have solidified the connection he shared with Brynn a lot more.

All in all, Hell, Fire & Freedom was an enjoyable read. The next book is about another two individuals who we meet briefly in this book. I am looking forward to diving in.