LisaP

LisaP

Facade - Review

Facade  - Nyrae Dawn

description

Façade by Nyrae Dawn is book two in her Games series. I really love this author. She has this way of writing in the NA and YA genres that does not seem young and immature and her books are not bogged down by too much angst or mindless stupidity. This book is about finding forgiveness and moving forward with life. IT is about one boy who is wallowing in despair and grief and the one girl who believes that she can somehow make it better. They both hide behind the the smoke screen of what bogs them down. What happens when they find that one person who sees through their façade?

description

"...you're the girl with ghosts in her eyes."

Delaney Cross has lived a life dealing with the consequences of other people's actions. Despite having lived a far from idyllic life, Delaney sees the world through somewhat rose colored glasses. When her father's careless actions lead to an unspeakable tragedy, Delaney is determined to pick up the shattered pieces of her family. She wants to fix her mother who has completely shut down. She wants to remove the burdens that her older brother, Maddox, now carries. And, Laney is on a mission to make amends with the individuals whose lives were irrevocably changed because of her father's indiscretions.

description

Darkness lingers in those eyes and the set of his jaw. One look at him and you can tell he walks around with a bruised soul.

***

Leavings is what I do. My feet itch to run and my hands itch to write and my mind is going and going and I can't fucking shut it down.

***

"I've been bleeding for four years."

Adrian Westfall's life completely changed when an earth-shattering tragedy rocked his world. He has spent the last four years closed off, sinking daily into the murky waters of guilt and desolation. He escapes the pain and the demons haunting him with distractions such as women and getting stoned, never truly allowing anyone to get close enough to see past his façade. After all, he is the guy who everyone comes to when they want to party. He is easy going without a care in the world. Too bad it is all an optical illusion created to hide all the pain.

description

Adrian and Laney's lives are intwertwined due to horrific circumstances and only Laney is aware of their connection. When the pair meet Adrian sees Laney as yet another beautiful distraction while Laney sees a hurt and broken boy who she is determined to fix. The more time Laney and Adrian spend with one another, the more profound their connection becomes. Adrian's pain and brokenness call out to Laney and she loses herself in this lost boy. Simultaneously, Adrian sees pain and sorrow hidden in Laney's eyes. Here is a girl who is hiding just like him and this draws him to her. The attraction, feelings and closeness that Laney and Adrian begin to share brings both of their ghosts to the surface. When all is revealed and secrets are shared, will Laney and Adrian be torn apart of will their tragic pasts somehow create an unshakeable bond between the pair?

This book was beautiful and heart-breaking. Both Adrian and Delaney were hurting souls and it took the other for them to realize that they needed to move past the pain and come out from hiding. The pair definitely have many secrets and obstacles to overcome in order to make things work. I loved the fact that at the core of this story was simply a wonderfully haunting tale that was real, honest and spoke to my heart.

All in all, Façade is yet another reason why I love Nyrae Dawn. This book had me smiling, swooning and crying all in one breath. It flowed effortlessly as Nyrae Dawn books tend to do and in the end my heart was happy and full.