LisaP

The Dark Light of Day - Review

The Dark Light of Day - T.M. Frazier

You can find my full review at Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews

5 Stars

“After all, we all have darkness within us. Some of us more than others.”

description

The Dark Light of Day by T.M. Frazier is one of those books that will ruthlessly take hold of you and refuse to let go until every last word has been read and absorbed. I absolutely love being swept away by a story, no matter how gritty and brutally tragic it is. And, trust me, this book is not for the faint of heart. What you get is a dark and unforgiving tale. However, with this being said, you also get a story that is beautiful and will touch you deeply. I walked away definitely seeing the beauty in survival. There is something to be said about being able to stand strong and get through all that life throws your way. It may leave you marked. It may leave you fucked up. But, when the journey ends and you finally walk into the light, the victory is that much more sweeter.

description

Seventeen year old Abby Ford has lived through a brutal childhood. Her life finally improved for the better when she moved to the small town of Coral Pines to live with her grandmother. In the care of her Nan, Abby finally began to heal and move past her horrific upbringing. That is, until her Nan dies in a freak explosion. Abby is left alone to face the world once again. Determined to not go back into the foster care system, a system that has left deep emotional scars on her psyche as well as physical scars, Abby hides out in an old junkyard sleeping in the back of a pick-up truck. Little did she know that hiding out in a junkyard would change her life yet again.

description

Jake Dunn is back in Coral Pines. Quite some time as passed since he last set foot in the small town that he grew up in. Jake knows he leads a dark life and holds some deep secrets but he makes no apologies for who he is. He is in Coral Pines to clean up the mess his drunkard father has made. The auto body shop owned by his father is in trouble and once Jake sets things right, he will be on his way again leaving Coral Pines far behind him. That is, until he meets a fiery redhead under some very unconventional circumstances.

When Jake meets Abby he is immediately taken with her and decides to insert himself into her life any way he can. They get to know one another and slowly open up, something that is difficult for them to do. Both have erected some impenetrable walls around their hearts as a way of protecting themselves. Allowing someone else in and developing a trusting bond was something neither one was particularly good at. As they deepen their connection and attempt to figure one another out, there is no denying the connection between their two broken souls. Abby has found someone that has finally made her feel protected and safe. For the first time, for both Abby and Jake, they want to take a chance on love. I know that things seemed to have happened rather fast when it comes to the feelings that Jake and Abby had for one another; however, I simply saw it as two very broken individuals recognizing that same pain they carried daily in another soul and reaching out and grasping onto the familiar. They saw each other’s brokenness and it somehow connected them.

description

Jake and Abby do not necessarily have an easy road to happiness. What happens is most certainly gruesome and intense. There are not a whole lot of sunshine and butterflies suddenly appearing simply because Jake and Abby develop a relationship. What you do get is a tale of survival. Abby experiences one horrific circumstance after another and Jake was not always there to protect and save her. With this being said, Abby survived and came out stronger. I found myself stopping at many intervals throughout the book simply trying to take in all the Abby experiences and in awe of how strong and resilient she became.

Jake was his fair share of fucked-up and I wanted to punch him (and perhaps gut him) a few times in the book. I definitely did not agree with or understand some of his decisions. However, now that I have had a little time to remove myself from the story and reflect, I see Jake as this tragic character that perhaps had no idea what to do with the feelings he was having for Abby. Trust did not come easily for him and maybe that explains his thought processes and the reasoning behind what he does. As much as he wanted to protect Abby and shelter her from any further harm, he had some soul searching to do.

All in all, The Dark Light of Day was an incredibly twisted tale that definitely stepped outside of the confines of what is considered a romantic tale with a happy ending. This book may have not been a fairytale-esque story or your typical romance, but it was deeply profound and had me hanging onto every word with its gritty nature and unpredictability. Just when I thought some unicorns and love angels would surely appear and make all the bad things that occur disappear into the darkness, we are thrown yet another ghastly curveball that would shatter my heart. Jake and Abby do get a happy ending but it is unlike any happy forever I have previously read. And....I loved it! I am glad that T.M. Frazier stuck with the dark and raw feel to the story but still gave her readers a happy ending. Both Jake and Abby find something in each other that make them whole. So, to ponder the question as to whether two “brokens” make a whole. Well, I believe they can.