LisaP

Calmly, Carefully, Completely - Review

Calmly, Carefully, Completely - Tammy Falkner

5 “My Heart Is Sighing” Stars

description

Calmly, Carefully, Completely by Tammy Falkner is the third book in her The Reed Brothers series. I absolutely love the books in this series thus far. Seriously, who wouldn’t? You are dealing with five (yes....five!) hot, sexy and tattooed brothers. Um....YUM! This book deals with one of the twins, Pete. It’s about second chances and starting fresh. This book had me happily enthralled....completely.

We got to know Pete Reed a little in the first couple books which deal with Logan, one of the other Reed brothers. He is one of the youngest brothers, along with his twin, Sam. In an attempt to help out his family financially, Pete makes a monumentally dumb-ass decision which lands him in jail for two years. Now, fresh out of jail, Pete is ready for a new beginning and to move on from the dark corner he has been living in. Pete is about to discover that moving on and starting fresh means spending time with some seriously awesome kids, a father with a penchant for carrying his hatchet everywhere he goes and a cute girl with blonde hair and freckles that Pete has been unable to forget for two years.

Reagan Carter has essentially shunned truly living life ever since that dark night two years ago that completely changed her. The only shining light from that one traumatic event is Pete Reed. Reagan never saw Pete again after that night but she has kept tabs on him and had her lawyer father help him out. Now that Pete is out of jail, Reagan wants to talk with him and thank him for what he did for her that fateful night. She convinces her father to get Pete to come and help out at the special needs camp that her family runs for children and teens. What Reagan does not expect is that Pete is the first person in a long time who makes her want to take down her carefully erected walls.

description

Pete and Reagan were so sweet together. Pete recognizes her immediately. Unbeknownst to Reagan, she had a huge effect on Pete and he has had his brothers secretly keep tabs on her as well to ensure she was safe. I simply loved how Pete understood Reagan and how he was so careful and patient with her. He was definitely what she needed to finally move past her trust issues and being so closed off. For the first time in a long time, Reagan finds herself wanting to move past all her issues. The pair find themselves developing deep feelings for one another and falling into the happy place that is love. For Pete, Reagan is his second chance at life. For Reagan, Pete is the one that finally manages to push through her barriers. Can their fragile bond survive past the one week they spend at the special needs camp?

One of the things that I loved about this book was the amazing secondary characters (in addition to the Reed men). I loved the boys that Pete takes on as a mentor at camp, especially Gonzo and Edward. And my heart simply melted every time Reagan’s little brother with autism, Link, was in a scene. I loved the message that this author sent by having some of the book take place at the special needs camp. Tammy Falkner states loud and clear that these children/teens were just like everyone else despite their differences and when provided with a safe place to thrive, they want all the same things we do....to be loved and accepted.

I also loved catching up with all the other Reed brothers. Matt will forever hold a special place in my heart and I can’t wait for his book which I have a feeling is next. You can feel the love that the brothers have for one another pouring off the pages and they exemplify what a true family is. I love how they are with one another and their hilarious banter. One of my favorite scenes was the conversation Pete has with Paul and Matt about “the birds and the bees”.

“You need a lesson on the birds and the bees?” Paul asks. “You put tab A into slot B.” He makes a crude gesture with his fingers. “Or tab A into slot C.” He grins. “Or tab A into slot D. But some girls don’t like that, so don’t start there. You might even save that for a birthday or a special occasion. Yours. Not hers.”

Hilarious!

All in all, Calmly, Carefully, Completely is yet one more reason why I love this author and this series. It is one of those books that is sweet, tenderhearted and will leave you happily sighing and swooning. I will be highly anticipating the next book in the series with bated breath. Ms. Falkner....I hope you write fast!