LisaP

LisaP

Tall, Dark & Lonely

Tall, Dark & Lonely  - R.L. Mathewson

description

Tall, Dark & Lonely is book one in R.L. Mathewson’s Pyte/Sentinel series. I loved this author’s Neighbors from Hell series and have been meaning to give this series a go. I am so glad that I took the plunge. While this is definitely not an overly complicated paranormal world that Ms. Mathewson has created, for me the romance between the hero and heroine was the main focus of the book and not the whole paranormal aspect. It’s a story about a lonely pyte who finally finds his reason for existence. I loved it.

Madison Soloman has spent the majority of her life being the responsible one. With a despicably selfish mother who would rather prostitute herself than take care of her three children, Madison has had to take on the responsibility of raising her two younger siblings. She has definitely not had it easy raising two children, putting herself through college and earning a teaching degree all the while having to deal with her mother coming in and out of their lives. When Madison’s mother reappears once again, Madison agrees to uproot her siblings and move to New England to move in with their grandmother. Her hope is that her grandmother will help her deal with her egocentric mother and also help with her brother and sister. Moving into the boarding house owned by her grandmother has Madison hoping that she will finally able to work at a job she loves and perhaps start to make a life for herself. The last thing she expects to encounter is a mysterious and deliciously handsome police detective also living at the boarding house who manages to push past her resolve to swear off all men so she will not turn out like her whore of a mother.

Ephraim Williams is a unique vampire known as a pyte who has been in existence over two hundred years. What sets him apart is the fact that he was born a pyte and he can walk in the daylight. This makes him a very sought after commodity in the supernatural world. He has a tragic past which we discover in the first part of the book. Ephraim is now a police detective who lives a rather solitary and organized life. He rents a room in the boarding house because, despite his need for quiet solitude, he does not like living alone. When he first encounters Madison he is automatically taken aback by how strongly her blood calls to him. He is determined to stay away from her for her safety but as his need for her grows each passing day, his resolve to leave her alone is challenged.

description

Madison and Ephraim’s relationship starts off slow as our sexy pyte attempts to stay away from the one woman who has his self-control hanging by a barely visible thread. When Ephraim’s final grasp at restraint escapes him and Madison discovers his secret, the man is all of a sudden on a mission to claim what is his. He becomes the epitome of all that is possessive and dominating. Madison does not stand a chance against this pyte who wants nothing more than to give her everything that she never thought she wanted or needed. The pair no longer are unable to deny the connection they seem to have developed. Once Madison and Ephraim finally get together we are given steamy, hot and heavy. This author sure has them burning up the sheets. However, soon Ephraim’s past comes back to haunt him and Madison and her family are thrust into this dark and vengeful world. Can Ephraim do enough to save them and himself?

All in all, Tall, Dark & Lonely was a winner for me. I truly enjoyed this one. We have this hard-assed pyte who finds himself striving for things he never imagined he would have – love, family and a home. Madison also found a protector and love – things she told herself that she never wanted in her life. I would state that if you are not really a lover of the paranormal genre, I would still give this book a go. While this is technically classified as a paranormal tale, you will not be bombarded with a whole lot of world building that is often characteristic of this genre. What is you get is a tender-hearted and sweet romance that will have you laughing out loud, sighing, swooning and fanning yourself. So, give this one a try. Come on. I dare you.