LisaP

LisaP

Beautifully Awake - Review

Beautifully Awake  - Riley Mackenzie

TRUTH....

Lili Porter has been sleeping running for three long years attempting to etch out a different life for herself leaving the tragic past behind.

TRUTH....

Dr. Chase Colton lives a life burdened by deep guilt and unimaginable demons all stemming from events that changed the course of his life forever.

TRUTH....

Two broken hearts collide.

TRUTH....

Can they survive the explosions that come the collision and come to the surface beautifully awake?

Beautifully Awake is the debut novel by two writers known as Riley Mackenzie. I didn’t really know what to expect when I picked up this book. The synopsis does not give too much away in terms of the plot. Was I ever pleasantly surprised at the outcome! This team of authors has written a deeply moving book about two shattered individuals and how they each help the other awaken from the stagnant stupor that was their life. It is one of those books that will make your heart ache and shatter only to piece you back together again. I loved it. Truth.

description

Finally I reached out and bruised the hair from those familiar eyes, the mirror reflection of my own. You were awake. Your eyes were open. But the light was gone. There was nothing but darkness. Three years of complete emptiness.

It was time to close your eyes.

description

Twenty-seven year old Lili left the small town she grew up in three years ago. After experiencing a horrifying tragedy, Lili needed to move away and regroup. Leaving her family and her social worker position behind, Lili went to Philadelphia and started working as a Case Manager for the Philadelphia Hospital. While Lili has somewhat moved on with her life, she drifts through her days going through the motions completely void of any true joy and completely emotionless. It is safer not to feel anything. She has endured the harsh reality of pain and it is simply safer to not allow herself to experience any emotions. Lili’s life is devoid of any color until Dr. Chase Colton comes into the picture. He awakens something in Lili that has long been dead. The sleep runner is slowly awakening.

description

This man was intimidating beyond belief. Everything about him screamed hard.

description

Chase has come to Philadelphia to take on the Chief of Neurosurgery position at the Philadelphia Hospital. He takes his job extremely seriously and he expects those around him to do the same. Dr. Chase Colton is as intense and domineering as they come and definitely not who Lili was expecting to encounter as her new boss. What no one understands is that Chase is plagued by a deep guilt stemming from an excruciatingly painful tragedy that occurred fifteen years ago. He is tormented by demons from his past and is just as broken as Lili is.

I didn't want to run away from any more of my life. I just wanted to feel. If that meant not always feeling happy, not always feeling comfortable, if it meant suffering through times of sadness and headache, then I was in. I wanted all in. If love was my only constant, then nothing else mattered.

Done. I was done. This beautiful man owned by broken heart.

As broken as I was…as tormented as his intense eyes said he was…We were perfect. We fit. No apologies. No explanations. Just us. Perfection.

I love him. Madly and deeply. All of him, even the fucked up parts.

You woke me up, Chase. You brought color back to my life. The only time I ever want to see grey again is when I’m looking in your eyes.

“Lili, truth. We are worth it.”

Lili is astounded at the depth of her attraction for Dr. Fucknuts (just one of the many awesome names given to Chase). She hasn’t felt anything in so long that she is shocked that it is a sexy and domineering ass-hat doctor that finally manages to make her feel something. Chase is unable to deny the connection that he feels towards Lili. He pursues Lili with the same drive as a stampeding bull. The problem is Chase knows that he is not good enough for Lili but he just can seem to stay away. As the pair get closer, Lili begins to share her past. Chase is providing her with a safe haven to do so and for once in her life she feels wrapped up in a sense of security. Chase essentially demolishes the highly erected walls around her heart and slowly revives Lili showing her a world full of passion, intimacy, care and love. But, Chase has deep, dark secrets that he is unwilling to share. Will Chase be able to open up to Lili knowing that she might just be the one person who can help him conquer his demons and love him wholly and completely and not hold his past against him? When both their darkness comes to light, can they withstand the burn and survive? Can Lili survive the truth of Chase’s past?

My only criticism about this book is that I felt that some things fell through the cracks. Perhaps this was purposely done by the authors. I am unsure. I would have liked more of an explanation and perhaps a deeper understanding when it came to Chase’s parents. I felt like they should have had a bigger role considering they played a huge part in why Chase became the man he was. I also would have liked to have a little more of an ending. I was completely happy with how things ended but I would have liked to have a little more time with Lili and Chase coming into their new normal. With this being said, I suspect that we will catch up with them in Asher’s book which is coming up next. Further, the minor things mentioned above did not deflect from the fact that I truly loved this book.

All in all, Beautifully Awakened is a heartbreakingly wonderful debut novel about a generous and amazing doctor who can’t help but fall for a damaged woman despite the fact that he too was broken beyond repair. It is a beautiful journey as we watch Lili and Chase fight to move past their inner turmoil and overcome the pain from their pasts. My heart literally broke as light was shed on the pain from the past. But there was also so much beauty in watching Lili and Chase overcome all their inner turmoil for the sake of love and chance at forever. Filled with a fabulous cast of sizzling hot interns, nurses, smart-mouthed best friends mixed with some hilarious dialogue, you can’t help but get completely enthralled and invested in this compelling story. It also doesn’t hurt that there are some scorching hot sexy times also. Whoot, whoot! I am so glad that I gave this book a chance and I am very much looking forward to the next book which will be about Asher, Chase’s best friend. He’s a sexy lawyer. Ladies, need I say more????

descriptionI'm wide awake
Yeah, I was in the dark
I was falling hard
With an open heart
I'm wide awake
How did I read the stars so wrong?
I'm wide awake
And now it's clear to me
That everything you see
Ain't always what it seems
I'm wide awake
Yeah, I was dreaming for so long

Katy Perry - Wide Awake