LisaP

LisaP

This Man - Review

This Man - Jodi Ellen Malpas

You and I go hard at each other like we're going to war.
You and I go rough, we keep throwing things and slamming the door.
You and I get so damn dysfunctional, we stopped keeping score.
You and I get sick, yeah, I know that we can't do this no more.

Yeah, but baby there you go again, there you go again, making me love you.
Yeah, I stopped using my head, using my head, let it all go.
Got you stuck on my body, on my body, like a tattoo.
And now I'm feeling stupid, feeling stupid, crawling back to you.

Maroon 5, One More Night

description

I want to start by saying that I had a hard time deciding how to rate this book. I thought about it the majority of the time I was nearing the end. Essentially, my GRs rating is based on one thing – how wrapped up I got with the story. I believe that Ms. Malpas did an incredible job giving the reader a story that captures you right from the start and does not let go. At least, that is how it affected me. I had a hard time putting This Man down. It consumed me. And, because of this, I think this book deserves the rating I chose.

Now, moving forward with some sort of review....

This man is set in and around London, England. Ms. Malpas is a British indie author so I appreciated the fact that she knew what she was talking about when it comes to London and I also loved the British English and colloquial phrases and sayings used. It was all very natural. Anyways, I digress.... We encounter Jesse Ward, a sexy as hell businessman who is as mysterious as he is gorgeous in this tale. He meets twenty-six year old, Ava O’Shea, an interior designer, when she goes to The Manor to meet with him to discuss working on some unfinished space at his place of business. Needless to say, we have a sexplosion with lots of sparks and fumes and the drama commences.

“You’ll always need me, Ava. I’m going to make sure of it. Now, let’s see if we can fuck some sense into you.”

This Man is an intensely passionate and sexy story. Jesse and Ava have incredible chemistry right from their first encounter. They both realize it and they know that they are unable to deny it. The question becomes whether their incredible attraction is enough to sustain their explosive relationship?

“You’re mine now, Ava,” he breathes on a deep delicious plunge. My head drops forward to rest on his. “All mine.”

By now, if you have read the reviews coming out about this book, you will know that Jesse Ward is certifiably crazy. Did this bother me? Not really. Is he overbearing? Yes. Is he possessive and domineering? Yes. Does he take his stalking tendencies to the extreme? Um, that would also be a yes. However, I am not so sure our hero can not be redeemed. There is a lot more to Jesse than the author lets on. We frankly do not discover much about him in this book. Not much is divulged and of course that just leaves me wanting so much more information about this extremely passionate guy. I’m intrigued by him. I’m fascinated. I have no problem believing why Ava had such a hard time saying no to him. His blatant and over-bearing personality is hard to ignore. Please do not think I am deluded and think that Jesse did not wrong. There were many times he crossed lines that just had me shaking my head in disgust. Jesse Ward is simply a man with issues and I think once all his secrets are out in the open, we will actually see how much truly makes up this complicated and complex man.

The influence he has over my body is extraordinary. I don’t think I am weak, I think he is too powerful – he definitely holds the power.

Ava did not seem to bother me as much as she did others (again, from other GRs reviews). I didn’t really find her annoying. She did have her moments of complete immaturity and bad decisions – but, don’t we all. Ava obviously did not know how to handle all the intensity that was Jesse. She tried her best by attempting to fight back and immaturely rebel; however, Jesse was a force of nature that I’m not sure many could handle. I’m thinking that if I had someone like Jesse pursuing me with the same enthusiasm, I would also run, deny my feelings and be shit scared. Yes, Ava did miss some blatantly obvious signs about Jesse. Does this also not happen to all of us when we are swept up into the beginnings of a whirlwind romance? Ava is simply a young woman with a promising career and with no idea how to handle and deal with what was thrown at her when Jesse came into her life. She is allowed to make mistakes. She should be allowed to rebel and fight these strong feelings she is developing. That is how we all learn. I’m looking forward in seeing where Ms. Malpas takes her character.

Overall, This Man is an intense ride and I was engrossed for the entirety of the tale. At no point, did I wonder how much longer was this book going to be. I was actually left with wanting more,especially with the ending. I will most definitely be continuing on with the series. As far as debut novels go, This Man is an incredibly good one. I say give it a go so you can formulate your own opinion.

Favourite lines/quotes:

“Understated elegance,” he says softly.

*****

“Ava, you should know that once I’ve had you, you’re mine.”

*****

“Did we argue?” I ask. I remember the toilet dispute, but we were friends after that. He sighs. “No, I submitted power temporarily.”

*****

“Just tell me one thing before you leave, Ava.” His voice prickles at my senses… His face is serious, but still stunning. “How loud do you think you’ll scream when I fuck you?”

*****

"Everything is so much more bearable with you around, Ava."

*****

“If you want full length skirts and polo neck jumpers, then I suggest you find someone your own age.”

*****

This is slow, meticulous love making, and it’s doing me no favours with regards to my feelings for him – none whatsoever. I’m as addicted to gentle Jesse as I am to dominant Jesse. I’m at a total loss.

****EDIT ON NOVEMBER 19, 2012 - AFTER A COUPLE OF DAYS I AM GOING TO UP THIS BOOK FROM A 4 STAR RATING TO A 5 STAR. I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT THIS BOOK AND JESSE. IF A BOOK STAYS WITH ME LIKE THIS, IT DESERVES A 5 STAR RATING.

Re-read: June 25-26, 2013