LisaP

LisaP

Fever Dream - Review

Fever Dream - Annabel Joseph

description

Fever Dream is book two in Annabel Joseph’s BDSM Ballet series. I read book one on a whim after seeing a review from one of my GRs friends that I highly respect. I had never read anything from this author prior to that time. After reading Waking Kiss, I was flummoxed as to why I had never read an Annabel Joseph book before. It was perfection. Needless to say, I went into the second book in this series with extremely high expectations. Well...Ms. Joseph did not disappoint. I adored Rubio and Petra’s story. I had already fallen in love with Rubio, that cocky Brazilian bastardo; therefore, I wanted to see this book do him justice and perhaps make him squirm in his ballet tights a little. I fell even more into Rubio’s steely grips. This book....loved it!

description

We get to know The Great Fernando Rubio in book one of this series. He is arrogant, shallow, proud, a sadist, funny, endearing and sweet all in equal measure. Rubio is who he is and makes no apologies for it. There is truly no one quite like Fernando Rubio. He’s the type of character that you want to hate but you simply are unable to. Annabel Joseph gives us a lot more depth to his character in this book, but that doesn’t stop the classic one-liners from tumbling out of Ruby’s mouth.

description

Moving on with the story...Ashleigh, Rubio’s dance partner at City Ballet, has dropped a bomb upon our dear Ruby. She has decided to quit ballet and their partnership to pursue other things. Being the selfless friend that he is, Rubio is very supportive of her decision. Ha, ha! Um…nope. What really happens is Rubio proceeds to throw a temper tantrum that rivals those of many two year olds and refuses to make it easy in finding him a new dance partner. What Rubio does not expect is that he will soon meet his match.

description

Petra Hewitt is a twenty-eight year old prima ballerina in New York. She is consumed by her career letting nothing stand in the way of her success. She is determined not to make the same mistakes her deceased mother made – falling for her dance partner and getting pregnant with her thus ending her career. The rejection from her famous ballet dancer father have left deep scars on Petra’s psyche. When the opportunity arises for her to dance with City Ballet in London with the legendary Fernando Rubio it is hardly something she can pass up. Further, it would allow her to distance herself from the intense attention of an obsessed fan. When Petra arrives in London and meets Rubio, sparks fly and not necessarily good ones. Their first encounter is one where Petra gets to see just how egotistical and irritating Rubio can truly be. However, Petra can give as good as she gets and she is unwilling to be a wilting flower in the presence of the haughty ballet dancer. With a great deal of coaxing, Petra decides to give dancing with Rubio a chance. What she does not expect is further sparks to fly...the good kind.

description

Despite the astronomical failure that was their first meeting, when Petra and Rubio dance together magic happens. They are simply made for each other professionally speaking. The intimate and breathtaking connection they share on stage soon has them both unable to deny their bond off stage. Petra is shocked to discover that Rubio is dominant and kinky in her sexual endeavors; however, the shock soon leads to curiosity. Rubio introduces Petra to a world of sensual pleasure and pain and the pair make just as much magic during their sexual escapades as they do when they dance. When Rubio wants more than Petra is willing to offer, can she overcome her the deep rooted fears caused by her parents’ failures? Can she take a chance on what her heart is desperately seeking?

description

I absolutely loved watching Rubio fall head over heels for Petra. He was such a self-indulgent playboy and watching him meet his match and feel threatened by what he was feeling was hilarious. What I did not expect was the softer side to Rubio and I think I loved that even more. His protective and caring nature came out full force when it came to Petra. She essentially ruined him as much as he ruined her. I adored the fact that Rubio was willing to give Petra space when she needed it even though he wanted so much more from her. He did not push...too much. Petra changed him. Despite his gruff exterior, Rubio has always had a big heart. With Petra in his life, his heart and emotions were on full display. Further, when Petra's stalker catches up with her, Rubio will stop at nothing to protect the woman who means so much to him.

This is an Annabel Joseph book so it goes without saying that there were some very intense and oh so pleasure-inducing sex scenes. Damn! While Petra stands her ground outside of the “playroom”, when the two get together physically Rubio is the one in complete control. The sadist in Rubio comes out to play and Petra loves every moment of it. What she experiences with Rubio is like nothing she has ever done before in her life and she knows that she is utterly wrecked for anyone else. It is important to state that Rubio does enjoy dolling out the pain and they both push the envelope with some very raw, sensual and passionate scenes. If the whole BDSM world is not your cup of tea, then I would recommend not reading this book. I for one was left fanning myself! *wink, wink*

All in all, Fever Dream was an incredibly erotic book with some all-consuming sex scenes, tender-hearted moments and laugh out loud dialogue. I think that Fernando Rubio will go down as one of the more memorable characters that I have read about. That darn Brazilian egocentric idiot wormed his way into my heart to stay. I was thrilled to see him get his HEA and the Epilogue in the book had my heart melting. Beautiful! Read this book!