LisaP

REVIEW - Opulence by Angelica Chase

Opulence (The Excess Series Book 1) - Angelica Chase, Edee M Fallon

4 Stars!

description

Opulence is the first book in Angelica Chase’s new three-part novella series entitled The Excess. I am a fan of this author and was very much looking forward to this novella. Frankly, even if I had never heard of this author I still would have wanted to pick this up. She had me at “FILTHY EROTIC ROMANCE”. Yup, I am easy like that. ;)

Thirty-one year old Nina Scott went from living a boring, married and peaceful life in middle class suburbia to one of extreme wealth practically overnight. One idea had Nina fast-tracking it into opulence and luxury. Wealth and power should have been the answer to all of her dreams coming true, the path to happiness and fulfillment. Should have been. Instead, Nina finds herself confined by all the choices she has made in the past few years. Climbing the social ladder and making a name for herself in a world she was not familiar with has cost Nina more than she bargained for. Gone is the carefree girl that dreamed of a more affluent lifestyle. She has been replaced by a ruthless piranha whose cravings have gotten the better of her.

“I fed his need for dominance; he fed my inner whore.” – Nicola about Devin

description

Nina’s life is very much in a fish bowl filled with sharks. One of those so called sharks is Devin McIntyre, an investment banker with a need for dominance. What Nina and Devin shared was filthy, raw and passionate. However, it was also false and their end was only a matter of time. After all, Devin’s marital status has a way of getting in the way. Nina breaks things off with Devin, severing all personal and professional ties. She is tired of living such an empty life and wants to turn over a new leaf, righting some wrongs along the way.

description

Nina meets Aiden, a gorgeous surfer, musician and owner of a local bar called The Mystic. He’s so different than the people who have surrounded her these last few years and Nina can’t help but fall under his spell. However, Nina is still very much at some crossroads. She may have walked away from Devin and all that he represents but is she truly over her addiction to the man? Further, will Devin let her go without a fight? Aiden may be charming and very persistent in his pursuit of her, but is Nina truly ready to jump into another relationship so quickly?

I have to admit that I did not like Nina at all when I began reading the book. I found her cold and, frankly, she was quite a bitch. I also was not on board when it came to her relationship with Devin. I am still not happy with that choo-choo train of lies, lust and deceit. As the story progressed I did find myself warming up to Nina more and more. I commend her for realizing how much misery money had caused her and how she was willing to start making the necessary changes in her life. She has a long ways to go I believe and I am certain we are in for some bumpy terrain as Nina tries to figure out her life.

I must point out that the one person who I fell madly in love with right from his introduction was Aiden. Holy crackers, this guy is sex on a stick! Damn! I am interested to see how his character will develop. He still remains very much an enigma at this point.

All in all, Opulence is a fantastic, fast-paced and seriously sexy start to this new serial novella series. The writing is great as Ms. Chase takes us on a whimsical ride of emotion, passion, lust, desire and new beginnings. For those readers that are not fans of love-triangles in their books I would still urge you to read this one. While there are two men in Nina’s life, at this point in the storyline it is not really a love triangle. It is more about Nina attempting to move forward with her life, shedding one man and possibly falling into the arms of another. We shall see how this all plays out. If you are a fan of sexy books this one is definitely worth the read.

****An advance reading copy of Opulence by Angelica Chase was generously provided to me in exchange for an honest review.