LisaP

LisaP

Wild Reckless - Ginger Scott

5 “Reckless Love” Stars!

“I’m starting a war with a guy who doesn’t lose – a guy who doesn’t play by the rules. A guy who scares me, and who knows where I sleep at night.” ~Harper

description

HOLY CRAP ON A CRACKER DID GINGER SCOTT EVER KICK ONE OUT OF THE BALL PARK WITH THIS ONE! YA ROMANCE AT ITS VERY BEST!

Wild Reckless by Ginger Scott is one of those books that grabs you by the heart and refuses to let go until every last word has been greedily inhaled. I was completely mesmerized from beginning to end and it was only when I read the last word did I finally relax. My heart unclenched and I could then exhale. I have read other books by this author and readily admit that I am completely enamored by her style of writing and the beautiful love stories she pens. While this book does have much darker undertones than Ms. Scott’s previous books as it touches on some very heavy topics such as addiction, mental illness, suicide and infidelity, it still is yet another example of a story that will grip your heart and make you believe that love does conquer all and allows one to realize how wonderful it is to fall.

description

Kensington Worth wanted to complete her senior year with her best friends at her posh high school in Chicago. She wanted to play her piano and finally obtain her ticket to freedom, a ticket that would get her into any music program she desires. However, what Kensington wants she does not get. She suddenly finds herself starting over in a small town resenting her parents for moving her to a place where everything is slowly being taken away from her and she is having a hard time adjusting. Kensington comes across her neighbour a few times, soon discovering that he is unlike any other boy she has ever known. He’s this wild, reckless and an emotionless shell with a reputation. Also, he seems to have it out for her from day one. As much as Kensington is unwilling to take his cruel taunts lying down, she also can’t seem to stop this fascination she appears to have with him. This push and pull she feels towards him is unsettling and Kensington has no idea what to do about it.

“Owen Harper may get his way with everything in this school and town and life. But he won’t get his way with me.”

description
“This is a guy who cheats death, who actually seeks it out so he can laugh at that fine line-crossing it from time to time just to prove he can, other times, erasing it completely.”

Owen Harper and his family certainly have made a name for themselves in their town and none of it is any good. With his bad-boy image, irresponsible attitude, his cruel and mocking demeanour and unstable family life, Kensington has every reason to stay far away from him. There may be a reason to all the madness that is the Harper family, but that does not excuse Owen from the way he treats Kensington at first. His coldness, fearlessness and stoic and expressionless appearance do not stop Kensington from challenging him and prodding the dangerous beast lurking in the shadows. What she does not expect is for Owen to shatter her very existence and expose a dark secret that forever changes the life she has been living.

"Just then, I realize, he's not really wild at all. He's heartbroken. And maybe I don't hate him as much as I thought I did."

Kensington is now just as angry and lost as Owen is. They soon discover that they do share a common ground – both are dealing with serious family issues that have left them broken and tormented. And, the more Kensington truly looks at Owen, the more she sees the kind, gentle and loyal soul that is hidden beneath his cold exterior. Slowly the animosity they feel towards one another due to many misunderstandings begins to melt away, replaced by a new understanding of each other and a mutual affection that starts to organically grow out of the common bond they share. Kensington and Owen let each other into the deepest and darkest parts of their lives, they see one another at very low points struggling to make sense of it all. They begin to hold tight to the profound connection that they share and Owen desperately embraces the light that Kensington brings into his world. But Owen is slowly heading down a collision course that is sure to implode eventually. Can Kensington stop the wreck that will most certainly destroy the boy she loves once and for all?

“I love you, but I will suffocate you. Drown you. Loving me...it will kill you.”

description
“...I think I need you to survive. I think I need you to love me, because that’s literally all I’ve got.”

Despite the fact that very sensitive topics are dealt with in this book which gives the overall story arc a very forlorn and sorrow-filled tone at times, the romance we experience is extremely sweet and tender. What Owen and Kensington share is certainly intense but it was also real, raw and everything a first love should be. As Owen opens up to Kensington and allows her to be a part of his reality, you can’t help but feel for him and fall a little in love with him also. Owen may have been dealing with a lot in his personal life but there were many moments when he is there for Kensington. Both make mistakes as they stumble their way through their very passionate and fragile relationship, but I could not help rooting for them and desperately wanted to see them have their happy forever. Throughout all the hardships they had to endure what Kensington and Owen felt for one another never once faltered. I loved how real their feelings for each other were.

All in all, Wild Reckless is a book that resonated with me and will undoubtedly stay with me for some time to come. This is such a powerful story about two individuals whose worlds collide and in the darkness they find a love that gives them the strength to walk towards the light. This book is a must read! A book that made me fall even more in love with this author.

"Everything. Owen Harper is everything."

description

*****An advance reading copy of Wild Reckless by Ginger Scott was generously provided to me in exchange for an honest review.