LisaP

REVIEW - Becoming His Master

Becoming His Master (Neighborly Affection Book 4) - M.Q. Barber
3.5 “Eromenos” Stars!

description

Becoming His Master is the fourth book in M.Q. Barber’s Neighborly Affection series. This also marks my first venture into this series and this author. While this story can be read as a stand-alone, I have a feeling that greater reading enjoyment would be had if you were to read the series in sequential order. I found that at times I would have liked to have more background information and a greater understanding of the characters which I am sure is provided in the previous books. With this being stated, this was an enjoyable read about a wounded submissive and the Dominant man that would teach him what the true meaning of valuing one’s self is.

“The boy’s need spoke to him. Having someone to look after fulfilled him in a way short-term liaisons did not.”

Henry Webb is furious and outraged when he discovers a submissive male was abused at the hand of another Dominant in their club when their scene goes way beyond safe and consensual play. Despite the traumatic experience really marking Jay Kress, the submissive, he refuses to speak against the Dom. Henry takes it upon himself to teach Jay his true value. That what he decides to submit to is a gift that a Dom should never take advantage of. Henry has two months. But, Jay calls to him like no other. The boy’s innocence and desire to please make Henry want to keep him for his own; however, there is no way he is going to take advantage of what he feel’s is hero worship.

“Jay Kress was his eromenos. His beloved boy. His mentor and protect. His sweet lips to kiss, his beautiful thighs to fuck.”

I loved Henry. He had to tread so carefully when it came to Jay and I adored the fact that he truly did put Jay’s needs and desires before his own. He was just the right person to show Jay what a safe and sane consensual D/s relationship should look like, whether it be for a short time or a more permanent situation. Henry was so adamant about not wanting to take advantage of Jay, not wanting to give into his desire to keep Jay as his own submissive. Jay was also a wonderful character. His sweetness was so endearing. I loved seeing him flourish under Henry’s caring hand. Jay’s courage was admiral when it came to finally admitting what he truly wanted from Henry. The sweet beginnings of a relationship that came full circle.

This was a very unique BDSM book, one like any other that I have read. The focus here was more about the Dominant/submissive relationship rather than the kink. While I did enjoy reading this book I did feel that at times I was taken out of the emotional storyline and felt as if things became a little too analytical. I am not sure I can explain any better than this. This book was solely from Henry’s POV and we go through his thought processes about how he should be dealing with Jay, his ideas about what Jay requires to get past the trauma he experienced. Perhaps if we also got Jay’s POV I would have become more emotionally invested in the relationship beginning to flourish between Henry and Jay. Further, the book ended rather abruptly. I would have liked to see a little more. All in all, Becoming His Master was a great read for lovers of this genre.

“I feel safe with you.”

****An advance reading copy of Becoming His Master by M.Q. Barber was generously provided to me via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

description