LisaP

LisaP

REVIEW - You Loved Me At My Weakest

You Loved Me At My Weakest - Evie Harper, Hot Tree Edits
4.5 “Broken Soul” Stars!

“For never was a story of more woe than this of Juliet and Romeo,” Kanye softly whispers before he gently kisses my closed lips. “That’s us, baby, but we win. We turn our nightmares into a beautiful dream.”

description

You Loved Me At My Weakest is the second book in Evie Harper’s You Loved Me series. I loved the first book in this series and was therefore very excited to jump right into this one. First off, I highly recommend reading the first book in this series prior to diving into this one as it picks up where the previous book ends. You Loved Me At My Darkest (You Loved Me #1) may be about a different couple but it does set up the overall story arc for the series as well as introduces us to Emily and Kanye, the hero and heroine in this book. With this second installment, once again Ms. Harper has delivered a poignant and touching tale about finding your inner strength after it has been brutally shattered and moving forward from a place of abysmal darkness to one of beauty and light.

description

“But I’m broken, ruined, and worthless. What can I offer them? I’m tainted. Darkness has touched me more times than I can wrap my mind around.”

*****

“That’s what the devils gave me: pain, torment and despair. But I refuse to pass it on. It’s mine to bear and I will carry it alone.”

Emily Roberts was recently rescued by her brother, fiancé and their closest friends. She has spent the last five years of her life as part of “the collection”, fully immersed into the dark and ruthless world of human sex trafficking. The collection is well known in the dark underground society, a group of women Marco O’Connor, the king of the black market, has nefariously acquired and who are showcased at exclusive parties and auctioned off for the night to the most lucrative bidder. Emily was the first collection piece and lived an unimaginable nightmare for a long time and now that she has been given her freedom she is having a hard time letting go of her pain and torment. So much has been viciously stolen from her. Emily is beyond broken and damaged, believing all the worthless lies that were ingrained into her psyche over the five year period. She is a “whore”, “weak”, “a loser” – the list goes on and on. Instead of opening up to those around her that love and care for her, Emily walks this dark path alone refusing to let anyone in. No one deserves to fall into her despair right along with her, especially the man she loves more than life itself.

description

“I'm here through thick and thin. I'm here to save that beautiful, bruised soul of yours."

*****

“Moving on,” –he huffs out an annoyed laugh- “there is no moving on from you, Emmy. You are mine and I am yours. No matter how many nights apart we have endured and will endure, that will never change.”

Kanye has only ever loved one woman – his Emmy. She was stolen from him and it took him and his best friends five years to free her. For five years Kanye lived his own nightmare never knowing what Emily was going through, continuously tortured because he was unable to hold her and soothe her fears. Emily is back in his life once again but she is not the same girl she once was. What she experienced at the hands of the sadistic monsters she encountered has changed her and shattered her soul. What has remained unchanged is Kanye’s deep love and devotion for his Emmy. No matter how determined she is to push him away, Kanye is just as resolute to prove to her that he will not walk away and that he will walk this dark and lonely road at her side. She is his life and no matter how long it takes Emily to heal, Kanye will stand by her every step of the way. After all, that is what true love is all about.

“I’m so weak, yet this man loves me at my weakest.”

*****

“Emmy, I fell in love with you before I even knew what love was. And I will continue to love you until I’m old and senile and I forget what love is.”

*****

I haven’t felt love in five years. Have I forgotten how to appreciate it, how to receive it?”

Emily’s and Kanye’s journey was beyond beautiful. Emily broke my heart and this author does an amazing job drawing the reader into her torment. I literally felt Emily’s emotions pouring off the pages. It was so heart-wrenching to see a young woman who has been through unspeakable circumstances in her life slowly slipping into an even darker place and giving in to all her fears. Where was she even supposed to start? How do you fix someone who is irreparably broken?

description

Kanye will go down as one of my all-time favorite book boyfriends. There are no words to explain his utter devotion when it came to Emily. He was the light at the end of Emily’s murky tunnel. He was the hope she needed to cling to. No matter how hard Emily fought him, Kanye’s love could not be extinguished. I loved how strong Kanye was and how steadfast he was in his determination to bring Emily back from the brink of hopelessness. Seriously, there is no way that I can express how much I adored Kanye. I still happily sigh when I think about him.

All in all, You Loved Me At My Weakest was a tragically beautiful story about overcoming your fears and in finding strength in your moments of weakness. Sometimes love is enough and it can be the exact thing that can heal your soul and allow you to step forward and embrace a future full of wonder and light.

“I am Emily Roberts. I am a survivor. I am happy. I am loved, greatly.”

description

****A review copy of You Loved Me At My Weakest by Evie Harper was generously provided to me in exchange for an honest review.